Safety tips for generator usage during power outage

GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. (WOOD) — Generators help keep your home warm during long power outages, but they also pose a safety risk if you are not careful. 

Carbon monoxide poisoning, accidental fire and electrocution are all possible if a generator is not hooked up properly.

"Never put it inside the house," Jon DeVine told 24 Hour News 8. "That might seem like a silly thing to say, but it does happen."

DeVine is the assistant store manager for Rylee's Ace Hardware in Grand Rapids. The store only had one remaining generator for sale Thursday afternoon.

He explained it's important to keep a generator outside and at least 15 feet from a home to avoid carbon monoxide from getting inside. If you do cover it, make sure air can still flow around it to prevent exhaust from building up and starting a fire.

View the full story on Wood TV

title

Content Goes Here