GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. (WOOD) — The ongoing freezing and dangerous temperatures have prompted West Michigan shelters to expand operating hours.
Several warming centers will be available across West Michigan. 24 Hour News 8 is keeping a running list of resources. For updates on resources, call 211.
- Battle Creek Fire Stations | Station 1 at 195 E. Michigan Ave.; Station 2 at 145 N. Washington Ave.; Station 3 at 222 Cliff St.; Station 4 at 8 S. 20th St.; Station 5 at 1170 W. Michigan Ave.; Station 6 at 2401 Capital Ave. SW. | Open 24-hours a day Tuesday through Thursday. Police will escort people to designated shelters.
- Battle Creek Police Department | 34 N. Division St. | Front lobby open 24-hours a day Tuesday through Thursday.
- First Congregational Church | 145 Capital Ave. NE | 8 a.m. to 10 p.m. Tuesday through Thursday; 6 p.m. Wednesday meal; overnight shelter if necessary.
- SHARE Center | 120 Grove St. | Day shelter: 8 a.m. to 9 p.m.
- The Haven | 11 Green St. | 24-hour dry shelter and wet shelter extended hours. Will provide a shuttle to the SHARE Center and First Congregational Church if necessary.
- Kingdom Builders World Wide, | 50 Spencer St. | Overnight hours: 8 p.m. to 8 a.m. Tuesday to Wednesday.
- Battle Creek Transit | Free transit until 6:45 p.m. Tuesday through Thursday to First Congregational Church.
- Grand Haven Community Center | 421 Columbus Ave. | Open 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. Monday through Friday
- Alano Club of Kent County | 1020 College Ave. NE | Open 8 a.m. - 9 p.m. daily
- Degage Ministries day center | 144 S. Division Ave. | Open from 7 a.m.-11:30 p.m., 2 p.m.-7:30 p.m. and Sunday, 7 a.m. - 2 p.m. and 4 p.m. - 7:30 p.m.
- Exodus Place (men only) | 322 Front Ave. SW | Open weeksdays 7 a.m. - 5 p.m.
- God's Kitchen | 303 S. Division Ave. | Open Monday through Saturday, 12:30 p.m. - 2 p.m. and Sunday 2:30 p.m. - 4 p.m.
- HQ | 320 State Street SE | Ages 20-24: Monday, 6 p.m. - 8 p.m.; Tuesday and Thursday, 12:30 p.m. - 2:30 p.m. Ages 14-19: Monday through Thursday, 3:30 p.m. - 5:30 p.m.
- Guiding Light Works | 255 S. Division Ave. | Hours vary based on temperatures
- Heartside Ministry | 54 S. Division Ave. | Open weekdays, 1 p.m. - 4 p.m.
- Mel Trotter Ministries | 225 Commerce Ave. | Warming center open daily, 7 a.m.- 4 p.m.; emergency shelter available 4 p.m.- 7 a.m.
- Park Church | 10 E. Park Place NE | Open on Fridays through February, 10 a.m. - 1:30 p.m.
- Westminster Presbyterian Church | 47 Jefferson Ave. SE | Open Monday through Tuesday, 9 a.m. - 4 p.m.
The Holland Rescue Mission at 365 Fairbanks Ave. and 166 S. River Ave. will offer warming rooms and winter gear. The HRM can house 250 people per night and will not be turning people away.
Donations can be sent to 166 S. River Ave. (men's center) and 356 Fairbanks Ave. (kids and women).
- Ionia County Sheriff’s Office | 133 E. Adams St.
- The Hub | 212 W. Main St. | Offering warm beverages, hats and blankets around the clock.
ELSEWHERE IN IONIA COUNTY
The following shelters will be open during daytime hours Thursday:
- Belding: Belding United Methodist Church | 301 Pleasant St.
- Lake Odessa: Page Memorial Building | 839 4th Ave.
- Lyons: Lyons Township District Library | 240 E. Bridge St.
- Saranac: Saranac Public Library | 61 N. Bridge St.
- Portland: First Congregational Church | 421 E. Bridge St.
- Adjacent churches First Congressional and First Baptist downtown | 8 p.m. to 8 a.m. until Feb 1. There will be room for 20 to 30 homeless people at a time. Those interested in volunteering can sign up here .
- Kalamazoo Gospel Mission’s Credo Café | 448 N. Burdick St. | Open 24 hours a day and serving three hot meals a day. There will be warming rooms, hot showers, winter gear and hot coffee. The KGC will not be turning anyone away.
- Douglass Community Association | 1000 W. Patterson St. | Open 24 hours a day through Wednesdya.
A full list of warming centers can be found here .
- First Reformed Church of Ravenna | 3327 Mortimer St. | Open 24 hours a day.
- Peace Lutheran Church | 1225 12 Mile Rd NW, | 5 p.m. Tuesday to 12 p.m. Thusday. For a ride, call 887.9417.
- Sturges-Young Auditorium | 201 N. Nottawa St. | 2 p.m to 8 pm.. Tuesday; 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. Wednesday nd Thursday.
- For overnight shelter, Keystone Place in Centreville can be reached at 269.467.7078. After 8 p.m., call St. Joseph Central Dispatch at 269.467.4195.