GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. (WOOD) — Authorities are crediting a smoke alarm installed by the Grand Rapids Fire Department with saving lives.
According to a city of Grand Rapids news release, firefighters responded to call of a small fire in a bedroom. A family member was able to put out the fire, which was started by a candle, with a fire extinguisher.
The residents of the house were alerted to the fire by a smoke alarm, which was installed by firefighters in 2013 as part of the GRFD’s Residential Safety Assessment Program.
“This proves that working smoke alarms save lives and property,” Grand Rapids Fire Marshal Ric Dokter said in a statement. “There were no injuries and the family was not displaced due to the fire.”
View the full story on Wood TV