GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. (WOOD) — The ongoing freezing and dangerous temperatures have prompted West Michigan shelters to expand operating hours.
Several warming centers will be available across West Michigan. 24 Hour News 8 is keeping a running list of resources. For updates on resources, call 211.
- Grand Haven Community Center | 421 Columbus Ave. | Open 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. Monday through Friday
- Alano Club of Kent County | 1020 College Ave. NE | Open 8 a.m. - 9 p.m. daily
- Degage Ministries day center | 144 S. Division Ave. | Open from 7 a.m.-11:30 p.m., 2 p.m.-7:30 p.m. and Sunday, 7 a.m. - 2 p.m. and 4 p.m. - 7:30 p.m.
- Exodus Place (men only) | 322 Front Ave. SW | Open weeksdays 7 a.m. - 5 p.m.
- God's Kitchen | 303 S. Division Ave. | Open Monday through Saturday, 12:30 p.m. - 2 p.m. and Sunday 2:30 p.m. - 4 p.m.
- HQ | 320 State Street SE | Ages 20-24: Monday, 6 p.m. - 8 p.m.; Tuesday and Thursday, 12:30 p.m. - 2:30 p.m. Ages 14-19: Monday through Thursday, 3:30 p.m. - 5:30 p.m.
- Guiding Light Works | 255 S. Division Ave. | Hours vary based on temperatures
- Heartside Ministry | 54 S. Division Ave. | Open weekdays, 1 p.m. - 4 p.m.
- Mel Trotter Ministries | 225 Commerce Ave. | Warming center open daily, 7 a.m.- 4 p.m.; emergency shelter available 4 p.m.- 7 a.m.
- Park Church | 10 E. Park Place NE | Open on Fridays through February, 10 a.m. - 1:30 p.m.
- Westminster Presbyterian Church | 47 Jefferson Ave. SE | Open Monday through Tuesday, 9 a.m. - 4 p.m.
The Holland Rescue Mission at 365 Fairbanks Ave. and 166 S. River Ave. will offer warming rooms and winter gear. The HRM can house 250 people per night and will not be turning people away.
Donations can be sent to 166 S. River Ave. (men's center) and 356 Fairbanks Ave. (kids and women).
In downtown, adjacent churches 1st Congressional and 1st Baptist will be open from 8 p.m.-8 a.m. until Feb 1. There will be room for 20 to 30 homeless people at a time. Those interested in volunteering can sign up here.
The Kalamazoo Gospel Mission’s Credo Café at 448 N. Burdick St. will be open 24/7 and serving three hot meals a day. There will be warming rooms, hot showers, winter gear and hot coffee. The KGC will not be turning anyone away.
A full list of warming centers can be found here.
If you have resources to add to this list to help those experiencing homelessness this week, email ReportIt@woodtv.com.