U.S. troops killed in Syria suicide attack claimed by ISIS

Four Americans, including two U.S. service members, were among those killed in an attack in northern Syria Wednesday, the same day Vice President Mike Pence said ISIS, which claimed responsibility for the attack, "has been defeated."

U.S. Central Command said in a statement Wednesday that an apparent explosion killed two service members, a Department of Defense civilian and a Pentagon contractor while they were "conducting a local engagement in Manbij, Syria." Three service members were also injured.

"Initial reports indicate an explosion caused the casualties, and the incident is under investigation," the statement said.

The attack comes just weeks after President Trump declared ISIS defeated and said U.S. troops were coming home. Speaking to a gathering of U.S. ambassadors at the State Department on Wednesday, after the Pentagon confirmed the deaths of American troops in Syria, Pence repeated both of Mr. Trump's assertions.

White House press secretary Sarah Sanders told CBS News on Wednesday that Mr. Trump had been "fully briefed and we will continue to monitor the ongoing situation in Syria." She referred all additional questions to the Pentagon.


Photo courtesy of CBS News || More at CBSNews.com.

title

Content Goes Here