Kent Co: 5 deaths tied to 1 botanical herb

 

GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. (WOOD) — Audrey Osborn had no way of knowing just how precious her wedding video would become.

“That’s the last video we have of him,” Osborn said as she viewed the DVD in the living room of her mom’s northeast Grand Rapids home.

Osborn’s brother, Eric Genautis, was a groomsman in her wedding last December. One week later, the fun-loving, kind-hearted information technology expert was dead.

Kent County’s medical examiner ruled the 26-year-old died from “acute Kratom toxicity,” an accidental overdose on a botanical herb from Southeast Asia.

Genautis’ death in December 2017 was the first tied to Kratom in Kent County. Since then, there’ve been four additional Kratom-related accidental overdose deaths in metro-Grand Rapids.

Full story: WOOD TV

title

Content Goes Here