KALAMAZOO, Mich. (WOOD) —  Some statements made by Kalamazoo area shooting spree suspect Jason Dalton will not be allowed in his murder trial, a judge ruled Thursday.

Dalton faces 16 criminal counts in connection to the Feb. 20, 2016 shootings that left six people dead and two more seriously wounded.

Judge Alexander Lipsey ruled Thursday that some statements Dalton made during his first interview with a Kalamazoo Public Safety detective would be suppressed during his trial, after hearing the defense team’s arguments last week.

The defense says during that first interview, Dalton used phrases such as “I’d rather not say” and brought up his right to remain silent.

However, Lipsey said all statements Dalton made during the second interview with Michigan State Police are admissible in court.

However, Lipsey said all statements Dalton made during the second interview with Michigan State Police are admissible in court.

Lipsey said Thursday it was clear Dalton was read his Miranda rights and disagreed with the defense’s argument that Dalton’s 6th Amendment right to a speedy, fair and impartial trial was violated.

Kalamazoo County Prosecutor Jeff Getting said he would not appeal the judge’s decision.

More from 24 Hour News 8